Trump could announce new jet fighter program; Musk visits Pentagon – US politics live | US politics




Trump to announce new jet fighter program in White House speech - report

Donald Trump and defense secretary Pete Hegseth are scheduled to at 11am deliver a joint address from the Oval Office, but the White House did not say what it will concern. The Wall Street Journal seems to have uncovered the answer: they will announce a new fighter jet program.

The new jet will be the most expensive in history, and operate alongside drones, according to the Journal, which adds the plane is geared towards fending off China’s air force in the event of a war.

Here’s more, from the Journal:

The piloted planes are to be fielded in the 2030s and would fight alongside semiautonomous drones, as the Pentagon seeks to gain a technological edge over U.S. adversaries.

The future of the program had been in doubt after the Biden administration opted to leave the final decision on how to proceed to the incoming Trump administration. Elon Musk, the billionaire and Trump ally, has publicly campaigned against manned aircraft, which he said were “obsolete in the age of drones.”

Musk arrived at the Pentagon Friday morning for sensitive discussions about China.

Air Force officials have argued that piloted planes are still vital for fighting the wars of the future, especially if they incorporate cutting-edge designs, sophisticated sensors, more powerful engines and control the semiautonomous drones that operate with them.

Fielding the plane will be expensive, as the new fighters could cost as much as several hundred million dollars each. The Air Force’s current Lockheed Martin F-35 fighters cost about $80 million.

The F-35, which has been a Musk target, is a multi-role plane that is designed mainly for air-to-ground combat. The new fighter has been described as an air-to-air fighter that would replace the F-22 and would be able to fly in heavily defended environments.

Share

Updated at 

Key events

Reporters at the Pentagon have spotted Elon Musk leaving, after what the New York Times reports was an 80-minute meeting with defense secretary Pete Hegseth.

It is unclear if Musk, who leads Donald Trump’s department of government efficiency initiative and has business interests in China, was briefed on the military’s plan for a potential war with Beijing. But the Times reports that Musk’s meeting with Hegseth did not take place in a secure Pentagon conference room where it was originally scheduled to take place.

Share


Source link

Posted: 2025-03-21 16:25:42

Poppies projected on Parliament as UK honours the fallen on Remembrance Sunday | UK | News
 



... Read More

Ukraine war briefing: Sceptics can be converted to my Nato plan, says Zelenskyy | Ukraine
 



... Read More

Rachel Reeves is about to admit that reality has caught up with Labour | Politics | News
 



... Read More

Arsenal lose Bukayo Saka in festive hammerblow as star limps off at Crystal Palace | Football | Sport
 



... Read More

Don’t look up: is an asteroid heading for Earth? – podcast | Asteroids
 



... Read More

Real Madrid become first football club to generate more than €1bn in revenue | Finances
 



... Read More

Emma Raducanu granted Iga Swiatek wish as Alexander Zverev upsets Brits - overnight wrap | Tennis | Sport
 



... Read More

Meghan Markle makes change to Netflix show after backlash | Royal | News
 



... Read More