Trump will 'most likely' give TikTok a 90-day reprieve from ban scheduled Sunday




U.S. president-elect Donald Trump on Saturday said he would "most likely" give TikTok a 90-day reprieve from a potential ban in the United States after he takes office on Monday.

"The 90-day extension is something that will be most likely done, because it's appropriate," he told NBC in an interview. "If I decide to do that, I'll probably announce it on Monday."

Also on Saturday, the White House called a threat by TikTok to shut down in the U.S. on Sunday without a new statement from the Biden administration to assure Google, Apple and other companies a "stunt."

"We have seen the most recent statement from TikTok. It is a stunt, and we see no reason for TikTok or other companies to take actions in the next few days before the Trump administration takes office on Monday," White House press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre said.

"We have laid out our position clearly and straightforwardly: actions to implement this law will fall to the next administration. So TikTok and other companies should take up any concerns with them."

TikTok did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the White House statement. 

On Friday, TikTok said that unless the Biden administration "immediately provides a definitive statement" with assurances that it won't enforce a ban, the platform will be "forced to go dark" on Jan. 19.

On Thursday, a U.S. official who spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity in order to discuss internal Biden administration thinking, said President Joe Biden won't enforce a ban, leaving the fate of the social media app in the hands of president-elect Donald Trump.

WATCH | What happens when the TikTok ban starts?: 

What happens when the TikTok ban starts on Sunday?

With a U.S. ban on TikTok set to start on Sunday, The National asks cybersecurity strategist Ritesh Kotak what that could look like for the 170 million Americans who use the popular social media app and what it means for Canadian content creators.

Congress last year, in a law signed by Biden, required that TikTok's China-based parent company ByteDance divest the company by Jan. 19, a day before the inauguration of president-elect Donald Trump. The official said the outgoing administration was leaving the implementation of the law — and the potential enforcement of the ban — to Trump.

The U.S. Supreme Court on Friday upheld a law banning TikTok in the United States on national security grounds if ByteDance does not sell TikTok, putting the popular short-video app on track to go dark.

The court's 9-0 decision throws the social media platform and its 170 million American users into limbo, and its fate in the hands of Trump, who has previously vowed to rescue TikTok after returning to the presidency on Monday.



Source link

Posted: 2025-01-18 22:38:35

People are only just realising what the two-line symbol on an oven means
 



... Read More

Your Fitbit just got a much needed update that restores fan-favourite
 



... Read More

Top 10 games of 2024 revealed and it's bad news for Nintendo Switch fans | Gaming | Entertainment
 



... Read More

Scientists reveal who really wrote the Bible - the answer is mind-boggling | Science | News
 



... Read More

Novak Djokovic has 'something brewing with new coach' as big-name link up teased | Tennis | Sport
 



... Read More

Darren Till calls out Man Utd legend Gary Neville for MMA fight | UFC | Sport
 



... Read More

What can the UK can learn from Japan's social care system? | World | News
 



... Read More

Auger-Aliassime outlasts American Kovacevic to capture Montpellier Open in tiebreaker
 



... Read More