Apartment block blast in The Hague kills one as rescuers search for survivors | Netherlands




At least one person has died after an explosion and fire caused a building to collapse in The Hague, the city’s mayor has said, and there is little chance of finding more survivors under the rubble.

The cause of the explosion in the Mariahoeve neighbourhood of the Dutch city early on Saturday morning was unclear.

The mayor, Jan van Zanen, told reporters: “It is not known how many people are still under the rubble, but the reality is that there is only a slim chance of survival for them.

“It is unbelievable what happened there,” he added.

He said three injured people had been taken to hospital and emergency responders were continuing to work on-site but “what started as a rescue operation has now become a recovery operation. We are expecting the worst-case scenario.”

The mayor declined to speculate on how many people could be buried under the rubble, saying the recovery operations would take a long time.

Nor could he say what caused the explosion, adding that

detectives were on the scene to investigate the possibilities.

Residents of the north-eastern neighbourhood said they heard a huge bang and screams before dawn. One woman told local media she thought there had been an earthquake.

The three-storey apartment block collapsed after the explosion and a fire. Photograph: Jeffrey Groeneweg/EPA

The Hague’s fire service said: “At this moment, the emergency services are busy rescuing and searching for people and fighting the fire.”

An Agence France-Presse reporter on the scene said there were dozens of fire engines as firefighters battled the blaze from the ground and from higher positions. Debris was strewn across the street and several windows in the vicinity had been blown out, the reporter said.

skip past newsletter promotion

Huge plumes of smoke were billowing from a large hole where the building stood, with an acrid smell in the air.

City officials said: “The fire is releasing a lot of smoke in the immediate vicinity. Residents are advised to close windows and doors and turn off ventilation.”

Homes on several floors appeared to have been destroyed by the explosion, according to the Regio15 news website. Early images from the public broadcaster NOS showed several dozen firefighters tackling a large blaze and breaking down doors to gain access to the block.

A picture from the local news agency ANP showed one person being taken away on a stretcher into an ambulance.

Dutch authorities deployed a specialised urban search and rescue team to the scene, including four dogs trained to find victims. The team was previously used during the devastating earthquake in Turkey in 2023.



Source link

Posted: 2024-12-07 16:11:15

Bargain PS5 bundle comes with one of the best games of 2024 | Gaming | Entertainment
 



... Read More

Top 10 greatest films that failed to win an Oscar and No 1 is gobsmacking | Films | Entertainment
 



... Read More

Can a forest write a song? Ecuador copyright claim puts 'rights of nature' to the test
 



... Read More

Snooker scores LIVE: Shaun Murphy vs Kyren Wilson updates from Masters final | Other | Sport
 



... Read More

Emma Raducanu in tears on court in Dubai and consoled by rival | Tennis | Sport
 



... Read More

James Cleverly spent £655 a head on in-flight catering for one-day trip to Rwanda | James Cleverly
 



... Read More

Why was Justin Trudeau forced out? With Trump on the horizon, his party wasn’t sure he could win | David Moscrop
 



... Read More

Musk’s get-out-the-vote workers didn’t know they were canvassing for Trump – report | Elon Musk
 



... Read More