Israel carries out airstrikes in Lebanon after earlier Hezbollah rocket fire – Middle East crisis live | Middle East and north Africa




Israel carried out a series of airstrikes in the Nabatieh district, south Lebanon, in response to Hezbollah rocket fire near a watchtower, the first time the group has attacked Israel since a ceasefire came into effect Wednesday morning last week.

Hezbollah had launched two rockets near a watchtower in the occupied Shebaa farms earlier on Monday night. They landed in an open area and caused no injuries. In a statement, the group said the attack on the watchtowers was an “initial warning defensive response” against “repeated violations” by Israel of the ceasefire agreement.

An Israeli military spokesperson said that the army was attacking targets in Lebanon but would give “further details later.” An hour earlier, Israeli PM Benjamin Netanyahu vowed a “strong” response to Hezbollah’s attack.

The Israeli airstrikes constituted the most serious attacks since the ceasefire was established on Wednesday. The resumption of tit-for-tat strikes in south Lebanon and north Israel has caused concern that fully fledged fighting between Hezbollah and Israel could resume just five days after a ceasefire was announced.

Share


Source link

Posted: 2024-12-02 20:12:04

‘We were not prepared’: three weeks in a small town devastated by Hurricane Helene | Hurricane Helene
 



... Read More

Football regulator given power to block Premier League stadium sales | Football
 



... Read More

Jazz icon Gregory Porter, the International Troubadour of Love | Music | Entertainment
 



... Read More

Galaxy S24 Ultra dips under £40 but Samsung has something new coming next week
 



... Read More

England v Republic of Ireland: Nations League – live | Nations League
 



... Read More

At least 25 killed as Russian, Syrian jets intensify bombing of Syrian rebel territory
 



... Read More

John Healey's tough talk hides one uncomfortable truth about Putin | Politics | News
 



... Read More

Denmark fights back after JD Vance row explodes: 'Greenlanders are scared' | World | News
 



... Read More