Man City reject Man Utd's two-player request as Jim Ratcliffe's cost-cutting drive goes on | Football | Sport




Manchester City turned down a cheeky request from Manchester United to give two of their players a lift to next week's Ballon d'Or ceremony, according to reports. The reigning champions are taking a sizeable delegation to the glitzy event in Paris on Monday evening.

According to the Daily Mail, City have chartered a private jet to fly their players across the Channel. The report adds that United asked if they had any room for Alejandro Garnacho and Kobbie Mainoo, who have been nominated for the Kopa Trophy.

It is said that United thought sending just two players on a private jet would not have been a good look for the club in the current climate. Unfortunately for the Red Devils, they were told City had no extra room on their flight to accomodate their players.

It leaves United needing to make their own arrangements to ensure Garnacho and Mainoo will be able to attend the ceremony.

Sir Jim Ratcliffe has overseen a range of cost-cutting measures since purchasing a minority stake in the club at the end of last year. The INEOS chief has made it a priority to scale back unnecessary expenses in his quest to lead United back to former glories.

United axed 250 members of staff earlier this year, while certain staff privileges have been reduced or banned altogether. Access to private cars for the majority of staff members has been withdrawn and those with hybrid working arrangements have been ordered to return to the office.

Earlier this month, it was reported by The Athletic that Ratcliffe had axed plans for United to treat their employees to a Christmas party. The party for players is still believed to be going ahead unless Erik ten Hag decides to ban it after a nightmare start to the season.

United's cost-cutting mission has also seen Sir Alex Ferguson relieved of his ambassadorial duties. Two weeks ago, the legendary Scot was reportedly told that he would stop receiving his multi-million-pound salary at the end of the season.

Ferguson was said to have been informed of the changes in a face-to-face meeting with Ratcliffe, though he is expected to remain a non-executive director at Old Trafford.



Source link

Posted: 2024-10-26 11:33:05

Apple iPad mini A17 Pro review: the best small tablet gets faster | iPad mini
 



... Read More

Man Utd 'sick of Sir Alex Ferguson pressure' as INEOS accused of burying club | Football | Sport
 



... Read More

Conor McGregor found to have assaulted woman and given big fine | UFC | Sport
 



... Read More

On the ground in a new Lebanon – podcast | Lebanon
 



... Read More

Court refuses to lift injunction against Trump’s birthright citizenship ban; JD Vance to address CPAC – US politics live | Trump administration
 



... Read More

Drivers urged to put tea bags in cars to stop £2,500 fine
 



... Read More

Notre-Dame Cathedral to reopen after 2019 fire. It's not the first time it needed saving
 



... Read More